Eduardo Hortiz (not his real name) is a "regular guy" who wants a non-management job in customer service.
He's been a customer service rep for more than 20 years and he has no plans to move out of his chosen field or up the ladder into management.
Sample Resume for "Average Joe" Job Seeker (a new window or tab will open for all sample resume links).
Notice that Eduardo's resume does not ring with bells and whistles.
There are no quantified results. In fact, the only numbers on his resume are the dates under Professional Experience and Community Service.
That's because, when Eduardo does a good job, which he consistently does, no one notices. If he didn't do a good job, there would be all kinds of trouble and that's when everyone would take notice.
So, no bells and whistles is a good thing on Eduardo's resume.
If there are no quantifiable results, how does an employer reading his resume know that he's good on the job? Because he implies it in the way he describes his work:
• Handled member concerns with diplomacy and followed through to ensure resolution.
• Eduardo puts out fires before they get set so I'll never even have to know about it. That's a big load off my shoulders!
• Trained new customer care reps to appreciate and clearly communicate membership benefits and promotions
• He really knows his products and can be a mentor, without my having to pay him management wages. Nice!
• Showed extreme patience and interest when answering questions and helping patrons from diverse backgrounds.
• This is someone who can work with and help anyone and everyone. That means I can put him in any situation and he'll represent me well. He's going to make me look good!
• Interacted daily with team members to synchronize completion of projects.
• He gets the job done, even if it means having to motivate his co-workers. If I hire Eduardo I won't have to nag Joe Procrastinator to get his reports in on time. That would be a relief!
This understated resume is just right for the type of low-profile job Eduardo seeks. Every line from top to bottom says, "I'm a good guy. I work hard. You probably won't notice me because I'm handling customer concerns before they become your problems."