Is Anyone Else Social Networked Out?
A couple of years ago, when someone recommended I get on LinkedIn, I thought "I don't want to sign up for *another* website!" I was truly social-networked out.
More on Social Media and Job Search:
- Social Media and Job Search Home
- How to Get Started with Social Media
- How to Engage Hiring Managers with Social Media
- Developing a Better "Hook" to Land a "Fish/Job"
- Every Generation Struggles with Social Media
- Repairing Your Online Reputation Using Social Media
- Social Media No-No's
- 4 Important Social Media Misunderstandings
- Facebook to Usurp LinkedIn for Job Search Networking
- Blogging for Job Search: 4 Platforms to Consider
- 10 Sources of Social Media News
- Google+ for Job Search
- Social Media Language Usage
- Infographic Resumes
- Top 6 Employer Magnets
- Activate and Manage Your Avatars
- Social Media Connecting Power
- The Invisible Web Is Not So Invisible
- Monitoring Your Online Presence
- Social Media Is Like Online Dating
- 5 Ways Social Media Keeps Skills Up to Date
- Social Recruiting
- LinkedIn vs. Facebook vs. Twitter vs. (Fill-in-the-Blank)
- Social Networked Out?
More About LinkedIn:
- LinkedIn for Job Search Home - many more articles
More About Twitter:
- Twitter Toolbox
- Twitter as a Job Board
- Using Twitter Lists
- Top 10 Twitter Job Search Lists
- 101 Best Twitter Career & Job Search Resources
- 8 Twitter SEO Tips for Job Seekers
- Top 50 Employers Recruiting on Twitter
- Top 50 College & University Career Center Twitter Accounts
More About Facebook:
- Facebook & Your Job Search
- 5-Step Facebook Makeover for Your Job Search
- New Facebook Profile Changes
- BranchOut, Professional Networking on Facebook
Social Media Experts:
I was getting invitations here and there, and trying to remember where all my memberships were. I wasn't getting any value out of any of them, and the last thing I wanted to do was sign up for more things that would provide more value.
Fast forward two years. I still get invitations, even a lot more than I got two years ago. Did you know there are over 200,000 social networks? Ning.com alone has over 200,000 social networks, for just about anything. Aside from Ning you’ll hear about LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Xing, Ecademy, Bebo, MySpace, and many more.
Another difference in my experience from two years ago is that I HAVE gotten value out of my social networking efforts. I have grown my network (I don’t focus on the number of connections I have, rather the number of people who I develop relationships with), developed rich relationships with my contacts, and have been able to communicate my brand and offering to them. I have helped people and made sales.
I had to be in the right place, at the right time, and doing the right thing. In other words, I had to know which networks I should join and be involved in.
I will share my techniques, tactics and strategies, and answer any questions you have for me (some answers might be "I don't know!").
For now, go get an account on LinkedIn, and get your profile beefed up. We'll talk more about that in the next article, but give it a shot on your own for now so the next article makes more sense.
© Copyright Jason Alba, 2008. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Jason Alba is the CEO and creator of JibberJobber.com, and author of I’m on LinkedIn – Now What??? Jason specializes in social media, with an emphasis on getting professional or business value out of various social tools. Jason maintains four blogs, including JibberJobber.com/blog, and is co-author of I’m on Facebook – Now What???.
Return to Job-Hunt Home.