The world is changing in big ways. And the world of work and career is changing with it. The idea of relying on a corporation to cover your needs is on the way out.
On the way in is a very different idea. An idea that requires a lot more work on your part. But also offers significantly larger rewards.
I’m talking about personal marketing.
It is the work you do once you’ve created a personal brand. You know who you are and, importantly, know how you are different from others wanting to play the same role in the world.
What? Market myself? What will people think?
They’ll think you are smart and progressive. If you do it right.
Over the next six months here on Job-Hunt, I will help you create and execute a personal marketing plan.
But first, here’s a universal truth: marketing is hard. To do it right, anyway.
You have to expose your brand and ideas to people in a way that gets them leaning in. Not turning away. So you have to be smart.
Now here’s a second universal truth: marketing takes time. Only in rare cases will your brand become viral overnight.
Most of us will build our brand one person at a time. A personal marketing plan works when it is part of a well-thought out branding strategy. Communicated in your authentic voice and delivered in channels where people are likely to listen to your message.
People who rush are making mistakes. And those mistakes can be costly. Giving you a reputation that’s hard to shake.
So why are we struggling?
- Perspective – We live in our own little silos, and can’t see the missteps.
- Knowledge – We don’t know where to start. So we act impulsively.
- Ideas – Most of us aren’t creative types. Marketing doesn’t come easy.
- Courage – Not everyone is comfortable stepping into a new area.
- Time – You are busy. Marketing takes time. So you take shortcuts.
- Money – Even the smallest investment makes you pause. I get that.
So, how are you marketing yourself? Are you open to some new ideas?
If so, plan to come back here next month to see step one of a five-step process to create and execute a personal marketing plan.
To get you thinking now, however, here are the five steps I’ll be sharing over the next five months:
- Build A Personal Marketing Hub
- Learn To Engage With People
- Start Building Social Credibility
- Inspire Sharing Of Your Ideas And Successes
- Take A Few Calculated Risks
But, you might say, why should I do this extra work in life? Can’t I just continue on “as is” and wait for the economy to flip itself around?
Sure you can. But this idea isn’t about this economy. It’s about taking your career in your own two hands. And proactively moving toward a happy work life.
And what if I told you about some real rewards you can get by creating a plan. For you and your brand.
Because there are real rewards to creating one:
- You create a community. A network of people who appreciate you, will recommend you, and share ideas with you. A powerful force.
- You build insulation from competition. Competition? Yes. Other people who want your next job or next promotion. Your message will be louder and clearer.
- You establish trust. Social credibility is what you earn through consistent delivering of your authentic brand. And that equals, over time, a level of trust.
- You get free word-of-mouth advertising. Knowing where to find you and seeing you consistently sharing good, high quality ideas will make them want to share with others.
- You generate enthusiasm. People will start to enjoy the interactions with you. As you engage, people start to look forward to what you’ll do and share next.
Can you do it? Yes, you can.
And I look forward to guiding you along the way.
© Copyright Tim Tyrell-Smith, 2011. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Tim Tyrell-Smith is an emerging thinker in careers, personal development and social networking. A veteran marketing executive and professional speaker, Tim is now helping people effectively market their brands and businesses. You can read his career and personal development blog, and follow him on Twitter (@TimsStrategy).
Return to Job-Hunt