Job Networking for Introverts: Pace Yourself
Highly social activities are typically draining for introverts, and much of the job search process involves social activities. What can an introvert do? Pace yourself!
Specifically, try some of the following tips to manage your energy.
- If you know that an event will be very crowded and over-stimulating for you, spend some alone time beforehand to conserve your energy for when you need it.
- Recognize that a job interview (particularly one that involves a series of consecutive interviews) will be draining and, if possible, limit your activities prior to the interview to conserve your energy.
- Balance your energy conservation down time with a brief, non-energy-draining conversation with a friend or family member, just to make sure you don't withdraw so deeply that it's hard to come out and carry on a conversation with others.
- When you attend a group event, find out the names of participants ahead of time, if possible, so that you can identify people who are of particular interest to you and use your time - and energy - more efficiently.
- Prioritize the networking activities so that you are at your highest energy level for the most important activity.
- When you have a full schedule of networking activities, take breaks so that you can recharge your batteries.
- When a job interview lasts for several hours and consists of meeting several people, ask for a bathroom break (even if you don't need one) just so that you can clear your head for 5 minutes and recharge briefly.
Remember that, while some activities are draining, others will help you recharge. Opportunities for reflection, for "digging deep" (e.g., doing research on a company or fine-tuning your LinkedIn profile), and one-on-one time with others typically serve that purpose for introverts.
If you schedule a mixture of activities - some that may drain your energy reserves and others that re-energize you - you'll be able to go the distance.
More Information About Job Networking
- Job-Hunt's Guide to Job Search Networking
- Job-Hunt's Guide to Social Media and Job Search
- Job-Hunt's Guide to LinkedIn for Job Search
Additional advice from Wendy Gelberg to help introverts succeed with their networking, including (from the list on the right):
- 15-Minute Guide to Job Networking for Introverts - free ebook by Wendy Gelberg (new browser window)
- 5 Tips for Introverts to Keep Your Network Alive
- Introverts' Guide to Large Networking Events
- The Real Goal of Networking
- The Art of Listening
- How to Meet New People
- Successful Follow-Up
© Copyright Wendy Gelberg, 2011. All rights reserved. Used with permission.