The Saved Searches feature helps you identify jobs in your area of interest. After you set up the specific search criteria, the Saved Searches feature will automatically find and retrieve available jobs based on your specific search criteria. When it finds a position that matches your requirements, it notifies you via email.
With the thousands of jobs posted on USAJOBS.gov, this feature is critical for helping you narrow your search results in a timely fashion.
USAJOBS Saved Search Setup
You must have a USAJOBS.gov account to create a Saved Search, so if you do not have one, visit USAJOBS.gov, and use the option to Create your account now.
To create a USAJOBS Saved Search:
- Click the My Account tab at the top of the USAJOBS home page, and log in to your account.
- After logging in, select "Saved Searches" by expanding the "My Account" drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- Then, select the "Create a new saved search" option from the drop-down menu.
- The "Create A New Saved Search" page will open.
This is the page where the saved searches are managed, once they have been established. You can add new searches, delete old searches, and edit existing searches from this page.
- On the "Create A New Saved Search" page, specify all of your search criteria.
You will have the option of narrowing your search by keyword, job title, series number, type of work, agency, pay grade, location, work schedule, and numerous other options.
- Saved searches must be named to be saved. Be sure to give your Saved Search a unique name, such as "Program Analyst," "Budget Analyst," "Regional Search – DC area," "2210 Series," or whatever is appropriate.
- Determine how often notifications of new opportunities posted on the USAJOBS site will be sent by choosing the option you want from the bottom of the page. Options are daily, weekly, or monthly.
Selecting "Daily" delivery gives you ample time to prepare your application. Less frequent notifications may cause you to miss that perfect job opportunity since deadlines can be short.
- Click "Save Search" to save the search.
Selecting the "Save and Run" button will save the search, and then immediately begin searching, taking you to a window of search results when the search has been completed.
Create a variety of searches to match your skills, education, job title interests, or geographic region where you would like to work. USAJOBS will let you create up to 10.
Customize Your Résumé to the Opportunity
When you find a position that meets your criteria, be sure to submit a customized resume. One size does not fit all! Generic résumés equal generic results.
Customizing your resume takes time, but it will definitely pay off. Since the Saved Searches feature will reduce the time you spend job searching, redirect the time saved to preparing a solid, tailored resume for each position identified in your area of interest.
For More Information:
© Copyright, 2012, Camille Carboneau Roberts. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Job-Hunt's Federal Job Search Expert, Camille Carboneau Roberts, established CC Career Services in 1989 to provide total career management services to help clients land jobs faster. Key services include federal resumes, private sector resumes, military-to-federal resumes, and social media resumes and profiles. Contact Camille at Camille@ccCareerServices.com, 208.522.4455, through her web site ccCareerServices.com, and also through social media links, like her LinkedIn Profile. Follow Camille on Twitter @CamilleRoberts, Friend her on Facebook at CamilleCarboneauRoberts and CC Career Services, and join her Federal Job Search Group on LinkedIn.
Return to Job-Hunt