Jobs in Academia and Education
By Susan P. Joyce
For more employer listings in the United States, visit your state's page in Job-Hunt's list of job search resources by state. You'll find links in your state for both K-12 and local colleges and universities.
If you are looking for a summer job, check out Entry Level, Internship, and Seasonal Jobs or Freelancing, Consulting, Contracting, and Temping for additional options.
The Top Sites:
Academic360.com - extensive, comprehensive, and well-organized links to academic and education
job sites! Connects you directly with the employer via the Careers or HR (etc.) section of the employers' Websites. Find a position in academia by searching through listings of educational institutions (listed by geography or alphabetically by name), faculty positions by discipline, and/or administrative positions by function. Replaces and improves on an old friend "Job Listings in Academia."
of Higher Education - from the people who do the print publication, an online community for college and university educators, including e-mailed newsletters, online forums, and many job announcements, news and information about the academic community, and excellent articles about job search.
Other Good Job Sites:
- Computing Research Association - links to listings for academic Computer Science jobs in the United States.
- EDUCAUSE - positions related to technology-based information resources with a focus on higher education.
- Education Canada - a Web site focused on jobs in the field of education in Canada. Fee for non-Canadian job seekers!
Education Locator - from the U.S. Department of Education, a searchable directory of public school districts, private schools, colleges, and public libraries to help you identify potential target employers.
- HigherEdJobs - search for a faculty or staff position by category (e.g. administrative,
- NationJob - many job listings in education, from kindergarten through college
- PsycCareers - from the American Psychological Association, a collection of job opportunities related to psychology and/or counselling, including teaching, academic, and non-academic jobs. Privacy statement is posted.
- Troops-to-Teachers - from the U.S. Dept of Defense, the TTT Website provides referral
More Resources: Job-Hunt's Directory of Professional and Industry Associations and Societies for Education. MANY professional associations offer job boards open to both their members and non-members.
About the author...
Online job search expert Susan P. Joyce has been observing the online job search world and teaching online job search skills since 1995. A veteran of the United States Marine Corps and a Visiting Scholar at the MIT Sloan School of Management since 2012, Susan is a two-time layoff “graduate” who has worked in human resources at Harvard University and in a compensation consulting firm. Since 1998, Susan has been editor and publisher of Job-Hunt.org. Follow Susan on Twitter at @jobhuntorg and on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+.